Tuesday, November 11, 2008

End of another semester

I'm coming to the end of another semester and oh the cries of despair can be heard for miles. Students I haven't seen in three weeks are emailing in desperation, "Is there any way I can pass?" Ah life it gets in the way of so much. For starters, life gets in the way of a college education. Some students work two jobs. Some have a baby and are unmarried. Some help support the three families living under one roof. They all want a college education, but life gets in the way and makes it hard. Some just goof off and don't come to class because that's they way it is. Twenty years from now they'll wake up and say, "Why in the heck did I do that." I was the dedicated student who didn't miss a day of college for two years while I worked two jobs. I know how hard it is. I do have a hard time extending sympathy to these students (although I usually do) because I don't understand where they're coming from. I don't understand why they don't understand they're failing because they haven't completed any work in over a month. But then that's silly old me.

No comments: