Tuesday, April 20, 2010

mom_hair.jpg

This morning on the Today Show there was a segment on "Mom Hair." It caught my attention and I decided to listen to it. I imagined there would be pictures of women with hair straggles hanging, hair thrown up into a clip or pony tail, or moms pulling their hair out, but what TS was really getting at was how women make themselves ugly after childbirth. I had to think about this. Did I do this? What do they mean short hair is making myself ugly? The more I listened to this segment, the more irritated I became. Yes, mothers do sacrifice their looks some days to make sure all the kids are dressed so they can all get out the door on time. I'm sorry all of us can't and have never looked like super models. We have hair and some of us are creative with it and try new styles while other women are content to wear the same hairstyle year after year. This past Christmas I saw an old college friend who I hadn't seen in years, but she was rocking the same helmet hair she had back in our college days. Oh and surprise! She managed to get a husband and a career with that hair mind you! I think it's crazy how "they" tell us we shouldn't let "Mom Hair" take us over and we should try to keep our lovely long locks flowing for our men. These are the same men who we love and adore, but bless their hearts they wouldn't take fashion advice or hairstyle advice from us. My husband has had the same hairstyle since kindergarten. He's not changing it because he has "Dad Hair." Why do you think it is women have to be held to a higher standard?

2 comments:

Okie Rednecks said...

Hubby and I have an agreement, I don't tell him how to cut his hair and he doesn't tell me how to cut mine. It is not like he would listen to me anyway!

Ladee Melie said...

Exactly! My husband would listen either. Mom hair! How dare they!