Friday, May 21, 2010

Olive Kitteridge

This is one of those Pulitzer prize books and when I consider reading one it's almost the same as when I decide to watch a movie that's been given an Oscar. Prize winners are sometimes just a load of horse pucky. This borders on horse pucky. Each chapter of the book tells a different story about someone and how Olive fits into their story. Some chapters are from Olive's perspective and other chapters are about other people where Olive is just a character in their story. It's a book without an end. Suicide is also one of its major themes and I would like a heads up about this thank you very much, but the book description mentions nothing. It's an OK read. There are some parts where I thought, "This is great writing." I understand why it was given the Pulitzer. When you're done reading it you've been moved to another place--to a different understanding.

No comments: