Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday mornings and cell phones

It seems it doesn't matter where people are or what they're doing, they have to do it WITH a cell phone. I hate the text-n-drivers. That's a whole other subject. We're in Sunday school this morning and we're in there for almost an hour. That's it. We have 40 or so folks in our SS class and I watched as several people texted during class and nonchalantly checked email. As you can see I noticed this and was distracted by it. Has everyone lost their manners? Lost their self control? Can't all this wait anymore? Isn't it disrespectful? I'm sure people text and check mail during church also. I must just be missing it. This concerns me because it shows how we put OUR needs before anything else. Wow. I'm just so disheartened by this. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Okie Rednecks said...

I also worry about it. I have found that we need time away from technology and in fact this weekend, I turned my phone off for a time period. We hadn't done that because of his great grandma whom we were taking care of. We needed to be available 24/7. I am learning to step away from the phone and get back to the roots of just being us. I have noticed the same thing and it bothers me. I don't have the internet of my phone so I am not checking email or anything like that but it annoys me when people are doing things when we are trying to talk or should be listening. I have seen some pastors who will call people out on things like this, but it is hard anymore. The whole subject is touchy and there seems to me that it will be hard to change peoples minds on it once they have made a decision.

Laurie Mohr said...

100% agree with you! Well said.

And if the adults can't focus and learn some manners then how can we expect our children to do any better?