Monday, August 23, 2010

Swamp People

I'm from Louisiana and last night the History Channel debuted it's new show "Swamp People." Of course this show is about the part of Louisiana that I'm from--the southern part. The part filled with good food and "coonasses." The accent that flows from their mouths is home to me. Last night the show focused on alligator season. I got to see water I'd skied and hydroslided (hydroslid? kneeboarding to everyone else) in right along with those gators. My right leg bears a scar from an alligator. This is my home. These are my people.

The whole show made me miss home. I've lived in many states and even though I don't want to go back and live in Louisiana, it's still my home. I miss the kind people, the food, the music, the attitude about life that exists there. If you're not from Louisiana you might see these folk as uneducated idiots out tempting fate to catch a few gators so they can live in their trailers and house boats and not have to work too much. You'd be wrong. These are hard working people who see the land as a provider and they're its caretaker. The take only what they need and they can get what they need from that land---and that's enough for them. These are the good people that would "give you the shirts off their backs" and offer you some boiled crab too.

And I miss em.

No comments: