Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday Tirade

Buses! Ugh school buses to more specific! In order to save money this year Jenks/Tulsa decided to re-organize its bus routes. This re-organization has forced me to drive my kids to school now.

My son, who's in his second year of college, complains how unfair it is that he had to ride the bus until he could drive. I believe riding the bus builds character. I did it and it was a good socializing activity. I was in disbelief when my high schooler told me she has friends who've NEVER rode the bus. Inconceivable!

I've got a 5th grader and a 9th grader who would ride two different buses. One would pick up my daughter about a quarter of a mile from our house off the main road and the other would get picked up two blocks behind our house. They both get picked up a the same time. Here is where the problem is. How can I keep an eye on both them? And the aspect of all this that irritates me the most is one of the buses passes in front of the house. This is where it picked up my other kids the past three years!

So now I drive them because you have to keep your kids safe and having my girls at bus stops in two different places doesn't allow me to help keep them safe. A year ago a man attempted to abduct a young girl from a bus stop a mile away from our home and that has stayed in my mind.

So what's a mother to do?

1 comment:

Laurie Mohr said...

What are they thinking? Especially with an attempted obduction so close by.

My oldest had to wrassle with the bus people this year after she moved. She got her way because the driver was smarter and offered to basically come right to their door. Just across the street.